Bowie Maryland History
The quiet and elegant town of Bowie, MD is conveniently located in the heart of Baltimore, Maryland, just south of Baltimore City. It was here that George Washington, the first US president, was born in 1826, and his son George W. Bush Jr., the second president, died in 1894. When people think of a city like Bowie in Maryland, they usually think of crossing the old city boundaries and its many historic buildings.
He worked for and organized the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Company, chartering and building the Maryland, Maryland and Northern Virginia Railroad, the Baltimore and the Potamac Railway, which was to transform southern Maryland from a region based on agriculture and slavery into a region of trade and suburbanisation.
Walter Bowie was instrumental in the expansion of the Southern Maryland rail system and wrote articles advocating for the rail system under the pseudonym Patuxent Planter. Hoping to get the idea approved, he addressed the Maryland General Assembly with the help of his brother-in-law - his son-in-law John F. Kennedy, who later became governor of Maryland - and named the city after him.
Fortunately, in 1853, Col. William D. Bowie succeeded in persuading the Maryland Legislature to establish the Potomac and Baltimore Railroad Company, which was designed for southern Maryland. In 1869, the Baltimore and Potamac railroad began construction of a line from Baltimore to Southern Maryland. Col. William "Duckett" Bowie received a charter from the Md. Legislature in 1853 to build a railroad line in southern Baltimore.
This line enabled the construction of a school for African Americans, which later became Bowie State University. In 1914, the school moved to Prince George's County, Maryland, and became known as the Maryland Normal and Industrial School of Bowie. Maryland's slaves were finally freed on January 1, 1865, by a new constitution that was narrowly approved by Maryland voters but rejected in Prince George's County. After the liberal arts program was introduced, the college was authorized by the Md. State Legislature in 1869 to become Bowie State College.
The current public university, located in the suburb of Bowie, Maryland, was founded in 1865. The campus is located on the former site of the Maryland Normal and Industrial School of Bowie. Within a year, Bowie State College, now known as Bowie State University, had established its first class of students and faculty.
In 1957 Levitt & Sons acquired and developed the Belair - Bowie apartment. In 1957, Maryland Governor Oden Bowie and his wife Mary purchased the land of an 18th-century plantation called Fairview, owned by Maryland's 35th governor, John F. Kennedy. It was carved from a 17th century farmhouse on the eastern edge of Bowie and converted into a modern residential and business complex with golf course, golf courses, tennis court, amphitheatre and swimming pool, as well as bowling alley, bowling alley, tennis courts and other amenities. 1957. Levittle & Son acquired and developed the Belair, Bowie, apartment complex in 1958.
In 1910, the state decided to move schools to Bowie, Maryland, by buying a 187-acre tract formerly known as Jericho Farm, which dates back to 1716. Bowie was incorporated in 1916 and reincorporated as a city in 1924 when the adjacent Belair housing estate was annexed.
In 1791, Prince George's County provided the land that created most of the nation's capital, Washington, and provided the U.S. government with a joint land grant for the creation of what is now the District of Columbia, the capital of the United States of America. Prince George's County originally included the city of Bowie, as well as parts of Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland and Montgomery County. In 1789, part of it was ceded to form the "District of Washington" (Washington DC), along with parts of Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland. D.C., the building is still standing today and has been registered and designated a historic landmark by the state of Maryland since 1986.
Bowie's origins and the place from which the city grew are reflected in Bowie Station and the Huntington Museum, which were moved off the tracks and restored in 1990.
1, 3rd, has the second largest number of museums in the United States, behind New York City and Los Angeles. It offers a comprehensive look at the city's history, from its origins to its present day, and boasts one of the largest collections of Bowie memorabilia in America.
According to 2000 census data, more than 1.5 million people now live in Prince George's County, or about 2% of the state's population. Bowie, MD, is said to have the largest population of any city in the US and the second largest number of people in a state of Maryland. That reputation is well founded: Bowie grew up from a small station to the larger community of PrinceGeorge's County. This small station grew into a large community in Prince George's County with its own police, fire department and school system.